Sunday, March 30, 2014

Video In Newspapers

     The newspaper I chose to look at that produces video was the Chicago Tribune.

     The Chicago Tribune was an interesting choice because I never associated newspapers with video.  I have always looked at newspapers in the physical form, and the adjustment to them being online is still tricky for me to grasp.  Personally when I look for news online, I will use a news stations website.

     Anyway, I proceeded onto the Chicago Tribune website, where I found a link of just videos they have.    I went to that part of the website, and realized there were numerous videos about a lot of news in Chicago and worldwide.

     When you go to the website for the videos, they immediately start playing.  Before every video there is an advertisement, which got a little annoying.  There was also no way to stop the constant playing of videos unless you stopped it.

     Basically there was an automatic constant setting where the videos would continuously play, which gave zero time to absorb the news one just received.

     I could not find a way to choose a video to watch because they were all on this continuous playlist.  I also noticed that some videos were from news stations in Chicago, and only some were videos the Chicago Tribune produced.

     The videos the newspaper produced were different than news stations.  The videos were a little long 2-3minutes, and some were just interviews.  Instead of having a news anchor tell the stories or a reporter, sometimes just the person they interviewed would.  I found this to be interesting, and it was different than what I have always seen.

     In all the content of the news was still interesting because it was "news," and I did think the videos were professional looking based on the images and content of the stories.

     I prefer iReport over the videos from the Chicago Tribune for a few reasons.  I liked how in iReport users can become storytellers and show their first account of what happened as long as it is accurate.  This doesn't happen in the newspaper videos unless it is done through an interview.

     I did prefer the navigation system in the Chicago Tribune over the navigation in iReport.  On the newspaper's website it was easy to find videos because they were all in one location.  The only hard part was finding a way to search for the news you were looking for.  In iReport I had a lot of trouble navigating and found it confusing on where to find accurate news.

     Overall both websites could use a little bit of work in their video and navigation area.  The videos for each website are used differently.  In the Chicago Tribune they give you the facts and a story of what happened, whereas I feel iReport gives more videos of what is actually happening to make the viewer feel like they are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment