Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Website Comparison

      I decided to use two stations in Vermont and compared the two.  I used WCAX in Burlington http://www.wcax.com/ and WPTZ in Burlington http://www.wptz.com/ as well.  I thought this would be a cool comparison to do because the two stations are in the same location, essentially delivering the same news.  I thought it would be interesting to see how they compared and differed in the delivery of the same news.

     On the home page they both have top stories in a square form with some sort of graphic either a picture or a video. Also of course they have a weather banner above the news stories because today that is clearly a big news story.

     In terms of writing and their stories, WCAX has shorter stories.  By glancing at a few of them they seem to be short and to the point.  For WPTZ their stories seem a little longer and I noticed more quotes.

     I also noticed that WPTZ has more subheadings for their stories.  On WCAX's page I noticed that not many stories have subheadings.  They both had the blurbs and the top headline though.  WCAX did have more descriptive headlines.  They included locations and states, whereas WPTZ did not specify locations really.  Most of it was local news on WPTZ, but it still should have some sort of location/title.

     For graphics, both stations would switch it up with either using photos or video.  I did not find many slideshows, but I am sure at one point both stations have used those in stories.

      Overall I did like both websites, but I liked WPTZ more because it looked cleaner and more professional.  They had larger and more appealing text whereas WCAX had smaller text and their website looked a little outdated. I just liked how WPTZ was easier to navigate whereas WCAX you did have to scroll to really find stories.

     These are my website critiques of WPTZ and WCAX!

No comments:

Post a Comment